Work-Life Balance Argumentative Essay
How can people become great parents, spouses, colleagues, and friends, contribute to their chosen profession, while also finding time for their interests or even simply getting some rest during the day? In other words, how can one achieve success and still keep the healthy work-life balance? Achieving and maintaining a state of certainty and stability in the quest to balance the responsibilities of family and career can be an overwhelming and exhausting task if not perceived to be impossible at all.
To make the task even more complicated, beyond the daily family and career-oriented tasks, numerous unforeseen situations arise (e.g. road closures or traffic jams, empty gas tanks, illness, etc.) Usually, such situations happen at the beginning of a busy day or when a person struggles to get to work on time or participate in the important meeting. What about the struggle between trying to spend more time with a family and stressful and uncontrollable work demands, such as unclear major-project details, declining budgets, deadlines, and too low compensation/reward and recognition for well done work?
Sounds really depressive and it may as well become so. Those who fail to take a step back to see a broader picture and critically evaluate the situation may suffer from the consequences of a burnout.
This essay aims at presenting the effective strategies to keep life and work balance, focusing on the recent research findings and offering effective solutions to the problem
Why Poor Time Management is Dangerous
Work-life balance can be defined as the efforts of those who work or study to distribute their efforts as evenly as possible between these activities, while also paying attention to other important aspects of their lives such as family, friends, hobbies, etc. (Fuentes et. al. 40).
Keeping work-life balance means distributing time and effort wisely and spending enough time with family, doing useful things for the community, taking interest in one’s development, selfcare and any other important activities, in addition to the demand sand responsibilities in the workplace or the place of study. It is particularly true about those trying to be professionals and reach definite heights in their career. Meanwhile, not being able to effectively manage time and activities can affect people physically and mentally. Moreover, conflicting and growing demands and poor control over workload can lead to increased stress-related morbidity and loss of balance in one’s life.
Scholars and professional HR specialists call this situation a burnout.
A burnout is a condition characterized by emotional exhaustion, frustration, depersonalization, and loss of a sense of personal accomplishment (Fuentes et al. 43).
In other words, those suffering from a burnout feel mind overload – they cannot think, make decisions and act; distance themselves from coworkers and close people; complete daily routine without any enthusiasm. Most obviously, this is not how one would like to reflect upon his or her accomplishments at the end of the day for a sustained period of time.
What Do Professionals Recommend?
Scholars and professionals from various industries give useful recommendations to those looking for healthy and improved work-life balance. For example, the study completed by Miller and Doucet provides the following tips:
- Define your personal success–it is important to define and develop short-term and long-term aims that you understand. Having professional and personal goals gives people a sense of not only what they have achieved, but also of what they should work on to improve. Adopting continuous professional development (CPD) approach and using SMART objectives is crucial in choosing instruments and planning how those instruments will be employed (Millerand Doucet 109).
- SMART stands for subjective, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timed- it has been proven as one of the best ways to set objectives that work.
- Proper goal setting can help one to better understand the idea of success, mainly based on what can accomplished, while continuing to push oneself beyond the established goals in ways that can be measurable. Here, it is important to focus on strengths, interests, and talents, focusing on strengths, while managing weaknesses; it is believed to be a productive strategy that works when trying to improve work-life balance.
- Scholars explain that people need to think about their own mission. It is clear that mission is a bigger picture, which helps the person realize his direction, motifs, and aims.
- First, one needs to sit down and write a personal essay, which tells him or her what exactly the person is attempting or striving to achieve in personal and professional life. This approach helps to set the direction for the future and keep people focused.
- Currently, more and more people are trying to find and establish meaning beyond just work and home; it appears that spiritual aspect bas become very important in the lives of modern people.
- In fact, when an individual knows his or her personal mission, it helps to provide the meaning one is looking for.
- Second, place the written mission as a bright statement in a place where it can be seen on the daily basis. It will help you to keep focused on the task. The rule of the thumb is the following: make the mission statement rather broad, and make sure that tools, methods, and tactics are as precise as possible. The last must answer the questions of ‘how’ and ‘when’.
- At the next stage, one needs to think about time-management. Battling stress and improve one’s life is quite simple actually: do what brings you result and happiness and stop doing things, which do not bring you positive result or happiness. Quite simple, and very productive (Miller and Doucet 110).
- Finally, to determine the priorities at home and at work effectively, we must learn to rank our activities. For example, in the morning it might be more important to pick up that phone call from the boss, while in the evening hugging your son and asking him about his day is definitely more important than explaining the client an extra charge on his bill- that can wait till morning.
Another study completed by Bonifas and Napoli involved interviewing college and university students for whom the issue of combining study, work, and personal life has always been a problem (479).
The researchers found several common themes: the majority of the participants reported that social support, optimism, general balance in life, and spirituality were important contributors to life satisfaction. Particularly, students stressed upon the need to connect with peers, receive support from the academic institution, focus on the positive aspects of their abilities, and balance studies with free time.
Moreover, students stated they would keep studies- life balance more productively in the atmosphere of support from every level of a university or college (college leaders and activists, administrators, faculty members, support staff, etc.) (Bonifasand Napoli 482).
In conclusion, keeping life-work balance and avoiding a burnout is a demanding task that requires everyday effort and commitment. However, if one develops the correct strategy, the task may turn out to be not as complicated as it seems. For instance, specialists recommend following the following steps on the road to success: focusing on strengths and passions, developing a success strategy, which includes writing mission statement, developing measurable short- and long-term goals, choosing the instruments that seem to be most effective, working on time-management skills, defining work and personal life priorities, and finally, always being positive and happy.
If you believe in yourself, sky is the limit. Love and life your life to the fullest.
Bonifas, Robin P., and Maria Napoli. “Mindfully Increasing Quality of Life: A PromisingCurriculum for MSW Students”. Social Work Education, vol. 33, no. 4, 2014, 469-484.
Fuentes, David G., Rachel R.Ogden, AnnRyan-Hadda, and Aimee F.Strang. “Reframing
Our Pursuit of Life Balance”.American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, vol. 79, no.3, 2015, pp. 39-45.
Miller, Susan W., and Thomas A. Doucet. “Get the Right Balance: CPAs Who Use a Mix of
Business Strategies and Time-Management Tips Can Achieve Harmony between Work and Home”.Journal of Accountancy, vol. 194, no.1, 2002, pp. 108-111.
Our company offers 100% authentic work, composed in accordance with your instructions. High quality custom essay or term papers are written by native English speaking writers with 3 years + of relevant experience. You receive 24/7 personal assistance and customer support. Also, we provide free unlimited revisions if your paper does not meet your requirements.
We approach deadlines honestly and realistically. How long it will take us to write your essay depends on the writer level of your choice, urgency level of your essay and your instructions. Our experience is that we can complete the majority of orders in 24 hours. But we suggest you make your order as soon as you can to allow us additional time in case we needed to do additional research. If we experience delays in meeting your deadline or if we need additional time, we will get in touch with you to discuss the order. Rest assured that we will do everything in our power to complete your order in time.
Once you have placed your order, you can track its progress. We will email you the completed paper in the MS Word format.
Our writer team is made up of full-time and part-time writers (many of whom work in academia) who go through a tough screening process before joining our team. Our Quality Assurance Department supervises and evaluates their performance to provide you with quality writing services.
Our team consists of over seven hundred researchers, editors and writers. Most of our employees hold graduate degrees in their fields and take interest in taking on challenging tasks. Our employees self-select for the assignments: they pick an assignment of interest, and we allocate the assignment to whoever of them is best equipped to fulfill it. We therefore guarantee that your order goes to the person having both the desire and professional qualifications to do the work.
After the order is placed and a writer assigned, you and your writer can communicate by email round-the-clock. Our average response time is one hour for regular orders (3 to 5 days) and half an hour for expedited orders (9-24 hours).
Yes, we can. There are a number of professional researchers on our team skilled in a great variety of scientific areas. We have the capacity to deliver top-level academic writing. Years of research experience enable our professionals to create outstanding texts of any difficulty level, including Master’s and PhD.
When you order term paper, custom essay, research paper, or book report from OwnEssays, your standard page will contain approximately 285 words of text, written in 12 point Arial font, double-spaced, 1 inch margins on all sides.
We offer our customers a plagiarism-free guarantee. If you find signs of plagiarism in your term paper, custom essay, research paper, or book report, we will issue a complete refund, no questions asked. You may be 100% confident that your work is written from scratch by your writer. We use sophisticated scanning and plagiarism detection software similar to that designed by Turnitin.com. This plagiarism detection software gives you peace of mind, while ensuring the highest quality book report, term paper, research paper, or custom essay.
We aim to meet or exceed our clients’ expectations through understanding their needs. Most of our writers either work or have worked in academia and have necessary knowledge and real-world experience. If our work is not to your satisfaction and if there is nothing we can do to improve it, we will refund your money.
Our support team works round-the-clock to help you make any amendments. In the unlikely case of our failure to precisely fulfill your instructions, we will revise the work free of charge upon your request. We will send you the revised work within three days of your request.
The confidentiality and security of our clients are on top of our priority list. We guarantee complete privacy of your information. Your personal information will never be disclosed to anyone under any circumstances.
All of our payments are processed by 2Checkout.com – a leader in security business processing. We do not have access to your credit card information and will never, under any circumstances, share the details available to OwnEssays (your name and email) with any third party. OwnEssays does not store your credit card data.
We offer the following savings to our returning customers on all subsequent orders: 30-45 pages: you save 5% 46-90 pages: you save 10% 91 pages+: you save 15%
We guarantee 100% satisfaction. In the unlikely case of our failure to precisely fulfill your instructions, we will revise the work free of charge upon your request, which you have to submit within 15 days. If the revised paper still does not meet your requirements, you can request a refund in writing within three days of your order’s completion. As a matter of fact, we have the highest rate of client satisfaction in the industry.
We are an officially registered business entity under US law. Our headquarters are located in Dallas, TX. We have years of successful experience operating in the industry.