Sample Essay: Opioid Crisis in the US
Currently, the US is faced with the problem of the opioid crisis as tens of thousands of people die from a drug overdose every year. This epidemic has been described as the worst crisis in the American history of drug problems as about seventy thousand Americans died from drug abuse in 2017 only, with every third in this sad statistics having used heroin or other opioids.
Experts promise that if the situation remains unresolved, statistics will only get worse. Unfortunately, this problem is significantly aggravated by the fact that American physicians continue to prescribe opioids, such as Vicodin and OxyContin, to anyone who complains of any chronic pain. Though the authorities are looking for ways and opportunities to maintain and find solutions to this situation, the rates related to prolonged opioid use continue to increase.
This paper discusses the problem of the opioid crisis in the US and suggests possible solutions to this situation.
Background and causes of the opioid epidemic in the US
Before proceeding to the discussion of possible solutions to the present opioid crisis in the US, one should look up what the opioid epidemic is. The term “opioid epidemic,” or “opioid crisis,” is generally referred to the growing number of deaths related to the uncontrolled use of prescription and non-prescription opioid analgesics.
This phenomenon is usually thought to have begun with over-prescription of opioids in the late 1990s when opioid drugs were widely used in the US to relieve acute and chronic pain.
To a large extent, this problem was facilitated by pharmaceutical companies that conducted advertising campaigns to promote supposedly “safe” painkillers encouraging physicians to prescribe these drugs. However, it became clear over time that those statements about low risks of dependence on opioids were not scientifically substantiated and did not correspond to reality. Due to the simpler access to medicinal opioids, an increasing number of people began to abuse these drugs and to use them for recreational purposes. This led to the fact that drug overdoses have become the leading cause of death for Americans under the age of 50 years, making America the country that has the highest percentage of drug-related deaths in the world.
Possible solutions to the problem of the opioid crisis in the US
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of calls to emergency services related to drug overdose increased by 30% in 45 US states in the last couple of years, with 54% of those having occurred in major cities.
- CDC experts note that such growth, comparable to the epidemic, can no longer remain unattended and requires a coordinated response.
- Emergency services, health departments, psychological services, public organizations, and law enforcement agencies must combine their forces and together resist the growth of opioid overdoses, which so often lead to death.
- Though there are several options for dealing with this problem, research suggests that five of those described below can be considered as the most effective.
- First and foremost, experts call on to discontinue over-prescribing opioid-containing medications. Now that the prescription for painkillers is easily obtained from a physician and insurance companies cover these costs in most cases, opioids have become the most popular drug category in the US. However, there are noticeable discrepancies upon closer examination between the amount of the prescribed drug and the actual medical need.
- Second, state and local governments are advised to bring data to the population on a dramatic increase in death rates related to drug overdoses, and, upon receiving the relevant permission from the police, to distribute antidotes such as Naloxone in local communities and families.
- Third, CDC calls on to treat opioid addiction as a health issue. Unfortunately, addiction is often considered as a moral defect or crime. Yet, it is a serious, chronic condition in reality, which should be treated as such and accordingly.
- Fourth, investments in harm reduction programs should be made. Since the opioid crisis erupted largely due to a lack of understanding of how to treat chronic pain, there is a need to increase the population’s awareness of adverse effects associated with the prolonged use of opioids.
- Finally, experts also call on federal authorities and law enforcement agencies to pay attention to the dramatic increase in opioid overdoses and, in addition to combating drug trafficking, to intensify educational work among the population, to provide local authorities with necessary equipment and antidote drugs, and to encourage and finance research aimed at preventing the opioid epidemic, at prescription drug monitoring, and at more effective drug addiction control.
The number of Americans dying from drug overdose is steadily increasing with each year. This sad statistics indicates that the US is faced with the opioid epidemic that has been described as the worst crisis in the American history of drug problems. Though the authorities are looking for ways and opportunities to maintain and find solutions to this situation, this problem, unfortunately, is significantly aggravated by the fact that American physicians continue to prescribe opioids, such as Vicodin and OxyContin, to anyone who complains of any chronic pain.
Nevertheless, there are several ways to deal with the opioid crisis in the US such as to monitor drug prescriptions and to implement awareness-raising and educational work among the population on local and state levels. Though the research suggests that the rates related to prolonged opioid use continue to increase, these provide hope that the current dramatic situation can be resolved.
Our company offers 100% authentic work, composed in accordance with your instructions. High quality custom essay or term papers are written by native English speaking writers with 3 years + of relevant experience. You receive 24/7 personal assistance and customer support. Also, we provide free unlimited revisions if your paper does not meet your requirements.
We approach deadlines honestly and realistically. How long it will take us to write your essay depends on the writer level of your choice, urgency level of your essay and your instructions. Our experience is that we can complete the majority of orders in 24 hours. But we suggest you make your order as soon as you can to allow us additional time in case we needed to do additional research. If we experience delays in meeting your deadline or if we need additional time, we will get in touch with you to discuss the order. Rest assured that we will do everything in our power to complete your order in time.
Once you have placed your order, you can track its progress. We will email you the completed paper in the MS Word format.
Our writer team is made up of full-time and part-time writers (many of whom work in academia) who go through a tough screening process before joining our team. Our Quality Assurance Department supervises and evaluates their performance to provide you with quality writing services.
Our team consists of over seven hundred researchers, editors and writers. Most of our employees hold graduate degrees in their fields and take interest in taking on challenging tasks. Our employees self-select for the assignments: they pick an assignment of interest, and we allocate the assignment to whoever of them is best equipped to fulfill it. We therefore guarantee that your order goes to the person having both the desire and professional qualifications to do the work.
After the order is placed and a writer assigned, you and your writer can communicate by email round-the-clock. Our average response time is one hour for regular orders (3 to 5 days) and half an hour for expedited orders (9-24 hours).
Yes, we can. There are a number of professional researchers on our team skilled in a great variety of scientific areas. We have the capacity to deliver top-level academic writing. Years of research experience enable our professionals to create outstanding texts of any difficulty level, including Master’s and PhD.
When you order term paper, custom essay, research paper, or book report from OwnEssays, your standard page will contain approximately 285 words of text, written in 12 point Arial font, double-spaced, 1 inch margins on all sides.
We offer our customers a plagiarism-free guarantee. If you find signs of plagiarism in your term paper, custom essay, research paper, or book report, we will issue a complete refund, no questions asked. You may be 100% confident that your work is written from scratch by your writer. We use sophisticated scanning and plagiarism detection software similar to that designed by Turnitin.com. This plagiarism detection software gives you peace of mind, while ensuring the highest quality book report, term paper, research paper, or custom essay.
We aim to meet or exceed our clients’ expectations through understanding their needs. Most of our writers either work or have worked in academia and have necessary knowledge and real-world experience. If our work is not to your satisfaction and if there is nothing we can do to improve it, we will refund your money.
Our support team works round-the-clock to help you make any amendments. In the unlikely case of our failure to precisely fulfill your instructions, we will revise the work free of charge upon your request. We will send you the revised work within three days of your request.
The confidentiality and security of our clients are on top of our priority list. We guarantee complete privacy of your information. Your personal information will never be disclosed to anyone under any circumstances.
All of our payments are processed by 2Checkout.com – a leader in security business processing. We do not have access to your credit card information and will never, under any circumstances, share the details available to OwnEssays (your name and email) with any third party. OwnEssays does not store your credit card data.
We offer the following savings to our returning customers on all subsequent orders: 30-45 pages: you save 5% 46-90 pages: you save 10% 91 pages+: you save 15%
We guarantee 100% satisfaction. In the unlikely case of our failure to precisely fulfill your instructions, we will revise the work free of charge upon your request, which you have to submit within 15 days. If the revised paper still does not meet your requirements, you can request a refund in writing within three days of your order’s completion. As a matter of fact, we have the highest rate of client satisfaction in the industry.
We are an officially registered business entity under US law. Our headquarters are located in Dallas, TX. We have years of successful experience operating in the industry.